MechaCrab Part 1: First Prototype

The robot so aptly named MechaCrab. This is my first attempt at a 2 DOF/appendage soft robotic quadruped. I’ve been mulling this idea over for a while as it came out of my initial designs of TAMI (I will get back to that project at some point…). The idea is to use 2 DOF soft […]

TAMI Part 3: Kinematic and FEA Simulation

For once, I have actually decided to be proactive regards to actually writing software (shock horror!). I decided as I’m going to be using a PI for this project, I should probably learn Python finally. It also gave me a good reason to figure using FEA within FreeCAD, something I’ve been meaning to do for […]

TAMI Part 2: Bone Design

The main part of this project has been designing a suitable bone capable of being 3D printed. The preface to this project can be found here. My first bone design was completely from scratch with no prior thought into what it would respond like. I came up with this design solely to get some 3D […]

Swarmbots Update 1

So unfortunately, I’m still waiting on my batteries to arrive meaning I have to make do with some extra Li-Pos I happen to have lying around (…as you do). I gave a demonstration to one of my lecturers –¬†soon to be my project supervisor over the summer, and he showed an interest in a minimal […]

Swarmbots – Initial build and testing

Today, my Swarmbot PCBs arrived! I’ve put one of the robots together to get a feel for where everything would go and what it would look like so its not too pretty but it seems to be functional and I’ve got the robot working autonomously in obstacle avoidance mode using the front IR sensor. Build […]